As you are building a personal brand on social media, there is *HUGE* decision to be made:
*Should you keep your personal + business accounts separate?*
When I hear this question, I immediately go back to my homeschool days and want to make a pros and cons list.
Y’all know we were all about making lists as kids!
PROS of separating your accounts:
- Your business may become overshadowed with personal posts, causing your audience to not be clear on what you are trying to sell
- A personal account can be left private as a way to share moments with just friends and family
CONS of separating your accounts:
- You have to create twice the amount of content to keep both of your audiences engaged
- It is harder to build a niche audience for your business with targeted content for your ideal customer
I’m going to deal it to you straight, buttercup: the answer is going to be different for everyone.
>>If you are a personal brand like a singer, author, coach, or speaker you may want to keep your accounts together and let your audience get to know you
>>For businesses with a more corporate structure such as product or a team of service providers, you would probably be better off separating your accounts
>>At the end of the day, you should be creating as much content as possible as quickly as possible.<<
If you’re feeling stressed about creating too much content with just one account, consider keeping your accounts combined.
At the same time, if you’re only doing videos 2 or 3 times per week, there will be 4-5 days you’re not posting, which means your account going stagnant and it is hurting the algorithm.
>>Adding a second account isn’t going to make social media any less stressful and you HAVE to show up every day is great to keep your content hot and your audience engaged.<<
*I never suggest creating content at the cost of your personal wellbeing or self care.*
So, my friend: should you separate your accounts?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Does your dream customer want to see a mix of your business and personal life?
- Does s/he find personal updates interesting?
- Does s/he prefer to see professional/business-driven content from you?
And finally… Which option will build the audience your brand deserves?